Skip to main content


The B-1 Visitor Visa is intended for business and professional purposes such as:

  • participating in scientific or educational conferences and seminars
  • undertaking independent research for his or her own benefit or for the benefit of an employer at home

See a sample letter of invitation

WB Business and WT Tourist Visa Waivers are available to citizens of some countries who may enter the U.S. for 90 days without needing a visa. See a list of countries who participate in the Visa Waiver Program.

Please Note:

  • Visitors wanting to engage in work, practical experience, or internships are not eligible to do so on tourist visas. Exchange visitor visas for Student Intern or Research Scholar or Professor are appropriate instead.
  • Visitors conducting research that will bring benefit to both the visitor and Illinois State should come also come on an exchange visitor visa for Research Scholar or Short-Term Scholar.

Payment and Tax Reporting

There are restrictions on the kinds of payments that tourists may receive in the U.S. Likewise, international guests and visitors who receive honorariums or payments associated to incidental expenses and/or travel expenses are subject to taxes imposed by the Internal Revenue Service. The hosting school or department is responsible for reporting to the Comptroller's Office when any Illinois State funding pays for tourists' airfare, lodging, honorariums or gifts.

Departments may contact the International Tax Specialist at or (309) 438-7677 for assistance and advice on what kinds of payments or support are appropriate for a visitor's visa type and the best interests of the University and visitor.