SEVIS Transfer Out
If you are a current ISU international student who will be transferring to another U.S. institution to continue your studies, you may be eligible to transfer your SEVIS record. An academic transfer allows you to transfer your academic record from one school to another, while a SEVIS transfer allows you to transfer your F-1/J-1 record from one school to another.
If you are a J-1 student wishing to transfer your SEVIS record, please visit ISSS during Express Advising.
Transfer Out Request
An F-1 student can request a transfer of their SEVIS record by submitting a Transfer Out Request in the ISSS Portal. Before submitting the form, ISSS recommends that you:
- Contact the international office at your new school to notify them of your intent to transfer your SEVIS record.
- See Tips for Choosing a SEVIS Record Release Date to help choose the best transfer release date for you.
- Visit FAQ for F-1 Transfers for more information regarding the SEVIS transfer process.
ISSS Transfer Form Policy
ISSS does not complete transfer or status verification forms from other institutions as they are not a regulatory requirement for completing F-1 SEVIS transfers (8 CFR 214.2(f)(8)(ii)). ISSS will complete SEVIS transfers for students who have maintained F-1 status and are in active status. Previous program dates, work authorization, and any additional information requested on the transfer form are accessible in SEVIS.
Students with records not in active status should come to Express Advising for further guidance.
If your new school requests a Transfer-In form from you, please provide your school with our policy and ask them for further guidance. You can also provide them with the following information to complete your transfer.
- Name of DSO: Tyler Yozze
- Email of DSO: tjyozze@IllinoisState.edu
- Illinois State University's School Code: CHI214F10730000
What is the benefit of having my SEVIS record transferred?
- You do not have to pay the SEVIS fee again
- You can stay in the US while you are in between schools
- You can count time at ISU towards meeting the “one full academic year requirement” at your new institution
Am I eligible for a SEVIS transfer?
- To be eligible for a SEVIS transfer, you must first be admitted to another school. You will need to upload your official admission letter to the Transfer Out Request .
- If you are graduating or completing OPT and transferring to begin a new program at a different school, you must request the SEVIS transfer before the end of the 60-day grace period following the completion of your studies (for students who are graduating) or the expiration date of your EAD card (for students who are completing OPT).
- If you are graduating from ISU and transferring to another school to begin a new degree program, you must begin at your new school in the next available term or within 5 months of your last day of attendance at ISU (whichever is sooner).
- If you are currently on OPT, you must begin your new program within 5 months of the expiration date of your EAD card or the SEVIS transfer release date (whichever is sooner).
- If you are a current ISU student and will be transferring without completing your degree program, you must begin your new program in the next available term or within 5 months of your last day of attendance at ISU (whichever is sooner).
- If you are new student who has not yet begun attending ISU and are transferring to a different school, you must begin studies at the new school within 30 days of the date you entered the U.S.