Before You Arrive
Please review the Pre-Arrival Checklist below that corresponds to your status. You should have all of the items on the checklist completed prior to arriving on campus for International Orientation.
International Orientation is held the week before classes begin. See the Orientation Schedule for details. You should make your travel arrangements so that you arrive on campus in time to attend all mandatory events. There is no Orientation event for summer admits. If you are an international student beginning in the summer semester, you should check-in with ISSS shortly after arriving on campus by visiting ISSS on the second floor of Fell Hall.
We look forward to meeting you soon. Welcome to Illinois State and the Global Redbirds family!
- F/J Students
- Exchange Students
- J Scholars/Interns
- Receive an email from ISSS that includes your ISU account information and important scholar resources. Read through the resources and review your ISU account information.
- J-1 Scholars should review the Visiting Scholar Handbook for information regarding your program, visa, and life at ISU.
- J-1 Student Interns should review the Student Intern Pre-Arrival Guide.
- Receive your welcome letter and DS-2019 document from ISU. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (309) 438-5112 if you have questions regarding your initial DS-2019 document.
Pay the SEVIS fee
- Schedule your visa appointment at the U.S. consulate and obtain your exchange visitor visa.
Make travel arrangements to arrive on campus so that you will be able to start your program on the program start date listed on your DS-2019. If you will not be able to arrive in time for the start of your program, notify ISSS.
Make housing arrangements with assistance (if applicable) from your host faculty/department.
Activate your ULID
- Bring your immigration documents with you in your carry-on luggage: Passport, visa, DS-2019, SEVIS fee receipt.
- Email email@example.com once you have arrived on campus so that your Scholar Orientation can be scheduled.